Sunday, December 05, 2010

Potato Day!

Today was such a potato filled day. First Natan's mom and boyfriend came over to the house for a Hanukkah lunch and we made latkas for them! I love, love, love latkas and I have made them before but only in small batches for myself. It was pretty time comsuming to make a larger amount of them but it is so worth, they are delicious! There are also so many different ways to make them and every week with our vegetable buy in club there are recipes online for that week's share and this week was all about latkas and the amount of different recipes was over whelming. We made ours with potatos, onions, garlic, parsnips (! we had them from our veggie share and one of the recipes called for them so we just added them in because I don't know what else to do with parsnips. As far as I and everyone else could tell it didn't add much to the flavor so I'm not really sure why you would add them), eggs and a little matzo meal.

Natan was the cook and I was the maker and shaper forming them into balls and then he flattened them out with the spatula.
I like really crispy latkas so we made them pretty small for extra crispiness.


This was the first time that we really entertained and it went well. The table looked so pretty and full of delicious things that I just had to take a picture of it. We had the latkas, bagels, salad, tuna, ice tea and juice that was freshly squeezed by me! It was a mix of navel orange juice from our veggie group and these other orange/tangerine like ones from my friend Amy's backyard (I forgot what they are called!)


Sometimes when I visit other people's houses I get anxious and antsy and I think I like it better when I am hosting because it gives me something to do while talking and visiting.

And, because I really do love potatoes and could eat them every day and be happy, I made potato, broccoli, kale soup tonight! We got so many potatoes from our share the past two weeks with Thanksgiving and Hanukkah but I knew that we would make latkas so I haven't really been using them but tonight I wanted to use the leftovers up and make room for the veggies we will get tomorrow. Which is also why I used the broccoli and kale in the soup and that's really why I love this veggie buy in club because it forces me to just add things together and so far it's always been delicious.


Tomorrow I'm going to make another soup with sunchokes (I've never had these but from what I've read they taste just like artichokes which I love). I'm so glad that it's cold outside because it's perfect soup weather!

1 comment:

Amy said...

satsumas, sounds like an awesome lunch!