Monday, May 17, 2010

The final days of Coachella!!

The last day at Coachella was my birthday and it started out the night before when I got back to the campsite after Devo and my camping neighbors gave me some wine. Then in the morning they sang Happy birthday to me and swindled some tequila from some other campers for me and I made a drink with that and blue Kool-Aid Jammers, it was delicious. I didn't head into the campsite until late in the afternoon. I knew that I wanted to be at the stage Pavement was playing at early and work my way to the front and luckily Yo La Tengo was playing there in the afternoon and they are a fun band to see live. They even worked out a choreographed danced for their song "You Can Have It All". It was very cute.




After Yo La Tengo, Spoon played at the same stage. I've never really gotten into Spoon and after seeing them live my opinions didn't change much. They were okay, not terrible but not great.

THEN it was time for Pavement! I was super excited to see them, they were one of the reasons I went to Coachella. They have been broken up since I've been listening to them so I never had a chance to see them live, although I have seen Stephen Malkmus live twice. Coachella was also their first show in the U.S. since they started touring and I didn't realize but apparently when they broke up in 1999 one of their final shows was at Coachella that year.








I was really close for the show and it was great, although it was really crowded at the front and I could barely move the whole show.

After Pavement I met back up with Lauren and Dan to see Thom Yorke. I was so curious about what Thom Yorke would be doing, I've seen Radiohead three times and it's always a great show and I have say Thom Yorke really delivered in his solo act. He played all of his album "The Eraser" and then played two Radiohead songs just by himself, he played, "Airbag" and "Everything In It's Right Place". Then his band came out and they played some new songs which sounded great.


After Thom Yorke I watched a little bit of the Gorillaz. I was slightly disappointed because the band was not behind a screen with animation of the band, but I guess people wanted to see them. I was also disappointed because there had been a lot of rumors about who would come out as a guest with them, and the first song they played was the one with Snoop Dogg and on the screen WAS Snoop Dogg and I thought Snoop Dogg was actually there and I was SUPER excited but then it turned out he wasn't there so the show started off with a sad note for me. I only watched for a little bit because I was super tired and we had to wake up early the next morning so I just went back to my tent and passed out.

In the morning we work up early and just threw all of our stuff in the car and headed back to the city. It was a really beautiful drive as the sun started to rise.



It was a long trip but we finally made it back home.


Although my hair was a disaster after being in the desert for five days it literally was starting to form into dreads.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I can't imagine 5 days in the desert! My hair was going into dreads after less than 24 hours in the Sinai Desert! Now i know why those nomads wear scarves over their heads!

Katharine said...

For real! The first few days I tried to brush it out but it was just ridiculous and I couldn't even manage it anymore