Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Coachella Day one!

Man these past few weeks have been crazy. I've been super busy and working like 75 hours a week so I have not had time to update about Coachella. So here it is finally!

Friday.
Friday was the first day of the festival, but there was no one we wanted to see until 2:30 so we checked out the campsite, there was a farmer's market that was awesome, we got breakfast burritos that were delicious and we wandered around and got slightly lost. We also played scrabble at the campsite.



It was a day of hopping around from band to band.

I love the composition of this picture.


The origami crane
When we finally went into the festival grounds we went to see Wale. Unfortunately he was about 30 minutes late coming on stage. We stuck around just because there was no one else on that we wanted to see and just when we were getting ready to leave he came on. He played for about 15 minutes because I guess they wanted to keep the other acts on schedule. I wish he played his whole set time because the fifteen minutes were great. But I didn't get any pictures of him because he went into the audience and we weren't that close.

Then we headed over to the other stage to watch the Avett Brothers.


Next up was Sleigh Bells. I had never heard anything by them, all I knew was that they were signed to MIA's record label. They were really great. They only played for about 25 minutes, I guess they don't have that much material. I'm excited to hear their record when it comes out.


Then we tried to see Yeasayer but I only got to sort of hear them because the tent was exploding with people. It was crazy ridiculous.
We went back to the campsite for supplies and a change of clothes because it got really cold at night. Then we headed back in to catch the last half of She and Him.


They were super cute, of course and they were the only band that I saw to play cover songs which I love.


In the crowd.


Passion Pit. As Lauren says, small voice, huge mouth. I was really impressed with Passion Pit, they were better live than I thought, it was a very fun show.

I went off by myself to see Grizzly Bear. I was really excited to see them because I love their new album. I thought they were great. I can imagine that they would be better in a confined space because their sound gets slightly lost in an open tent but I still enjoyed it. It was dark and sort of spooky and they had organs that kept building and building which I love.



I stopped by to see Echo and the Bunnymen but I didn't stay long. I was kind of turned off because Ian McCulloch, the lead singer, introduced their song "The Killing Moon" as "the greatest song ever written". I mean who says that about their own song? I honestly thought when he said that, that it would be a cover of another band's song. Then he introduced their next song (I forgot which song) as "the second greatest song ever written" Urgh I had enough by that point.


I meant back up with Lauren and Dan at the Little Dragon show. I had only heard a few songs by them, but the show was awesome. Definitely one of my favorites of the weekend.
The singer came out in the headdress that made me think that she was a witch casting a spell on the audience.


She also went and played some drums.



After that we caught a little bit of Jay-Z's show. It was really good and fun but Lauren and I were both really tired so we went back to the campsite and we missed when Beyonce came out to sing with him. Oh well I was exhausted.

No comments: