Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Washington D.C. final days (Saturday and Sunday)

Saturday I went to the National Postal Museum by myself. It was really neat and probably the nerdyist museum I have been to. They had an exhibit about stamps, about V-mail during WWII and then another exhibit about depression era stuff that wasn't open yet.





After I hoped on the subway and went back to the National Building Museum. I wanted to go back to the gift shop because I was so overwhelmed the day before and I couldn't decide what to buy. I also checked out the Norwegian rest stops exhibit again. Then I walked back to the hotel which was about 23 blocks away. It was a nice walk though. I went into an H&M store for the first time. I had previously bought their clothes at thrift stores and always really liked them. The store was packed and it was set up in a similar way to Forever 21 where they have things organized by color or theme instead of by type of garment. For some reason this really bothers me. What always ends up happening is that I see something I really like but it's out of place and it's not the right size and I have no idea where to look for the other sizes. I just want to go to a store and see all the pants together and shirts together. I guess I am clothes separatist, I'm anti clothes integration.

I also walked down the mall a little bit and walked by the White House, which was much closer to our hotel and it was also ridiculously crowed there. I didn't stay long because I was uncomfortable being packed in with so many tourists.

When I got back to the hotel I just relaxed for awhile because that night we went to the opera and I wanted to rest. We had thought that the Kennedy Center was in one direction from our hotel and we walked to this building that turned out to be the State Department building and most certainly not the Kennedy Center. Then we were majorly confused asked this man walking around and he turned out to be an opera fan and especially Wagner so he Natan started talking while he walked us to the Kennedy Center. It was super friendly of him and we got there just in time. The opera we saw was Siegfried, which is part of Wagner's ring cycle. I really enjoyed the show, the production was American themed so it was interesting. For example, the first scene takes place in the woods were it is secluded from other people and Siegfried lives there with Mime. In this production that put the scene in a trailer park, it worked really well. The other scenes were less successful but not bad.
Natan asked some random woman to take a picture of us and she like scoffed and rolled her eyes! She could have just said no. So he asked someone else who gladly took the picture for us.

The lightening makes Natan's jacket look really red, which is was not and it makes him look like a game show host.

Here you can see the weird statue of Kennedy that makes him look like a burn victim.


Before the show we went to this really delicious restaurant for dinner and afterward we went back there for dessert which was equally delicious. I had a vertical banana split.



Sine we were staying by George Washington University there were statues of him everywhere.


Waiting for the bus, which turned out to be unnessacary

1 comment:

Amy said...

i didn't know you liked stamps. i saw this coffee table on a blog that someone covered in stamps and then modgepodged and laquered over it and it looked much sleeker than that sounds. apparently you can order tons of them by the bag online.