Saturday, June 11, 2011

Miami River

Today I went on a boat tour of the Miami River with the family. It was sort of an early Father's Day trip and it was a perfect a day for boat ride (the rain clouds are coming in now but this morning was beautiful and sunny).
Me and my sister before the tour started, I always like to take pictures of me on boats to have proof that I did because I get really sick on boats but somehow I still force myself to do it. This trip wasn't so bad but I did have boat nightmares when I took a nap this afternoon (yea boat nightmares, I didn't even know such a thing existed but in my dream a serious of terrible and ridiculous things kept happening to me on a boat and I got nauseous even in my dream).

My parents.



We started off at Bayfront Park and went up the mouth of the river west past 36th st and then back to the Bay. I feel that this tour is a good all encompassing tour of Miami because you get to see the really nice parts by the bay with the fancy restaurants and the nice condos


and then you see some really seedy areas along the river.


Last time they did this tour, which was earlier this year, they saw a drug bust on the river! Nothing so exciting happened today but we did go under at least 7 bridges.





The river is a "working" river so there are fisherman who catch stone crabs and lobster and lots of shipyards and freighters that ship things like mattresses and trucks to Haiti and the Caribbean and central America.


All these crate yards reminded me of Dexter.

There are also recycling plants where the ship off scrap metal to China.


It was a really great morning and I learned a lot about Miami. The tour was given by Dr. George through the history museum and he really is the best. This was the last tour of the season but I'm looking forward to when they start again in September, I want to take my mom on the bike tour of Coral Gables.

1 comment:

Danielle the Wonderful said...

What a beautiful day!