Monday, March 02, 2009

Seeds.

Natan and I bought are plane tickets for our trip this summer. I'm pretty excited but planning a trip is so exhausting and annoying. I've never had to plan a trip, I've only been on school trips are family trips so I've never had to spend so much time looking up prices and comparing prices. It's overwhelming and I can't do it for too long in one sitting so we are planning in pieces.
On Friday we went to Sewell park in Miami, it's a city park and one of the oldest city parks. It's on the river and apparently used to be a big drug park but it's more of a family park now which is nice.


This is the natural ridge in Miami, which is neat.


Look at this tree growing around another tree! It was a really beautiful day but we didn't stay too long.

Sunday I went with my mom and my aunt to the Swap Shop. I haven't been in many years and when I used to go it was mainly just for produce and flowers. This time though we spent most of the time in the flea market part where people sell things practically out of their van. I got some nice jewelry there:

A heart ring for $3, a bracelet for $3 also, and a weird fish necklace for $10. More excitingly I got a McKinley campaign button!

I couldn't get a good, non-blurry picture of it but it says: "Count me for (picture of McKinley) and a full(picture of flask/barrel? I don't quite know)
McKinley's campaign of 1896 is the first one to use campaign buttons so it's especially exciting to have found and I only paid $2 for it! Now I have two buttons of presidents who died while in office (I also have an FDR button given to me by Jon Webber, who also gave me a McGovern, who lost to Nixon in 1972, button as well).
I know where the bargains are!

My mom and I also planted our garden. We planted artichokes (!) radishes and onions. My mom had started the radishes from seeds in pots but the artichokes and onions she bought. We also planted green bean seeds and red pepper seeds. I'm most excited about the artichokes because I've never seen one growing before.


The first picture is the radishes and the onions and the second one are the artichokes. I love looking at the window and seeing our plants grow and I really love just walking outside and picking lettuce for my sandwiches and salads.
One of my favorite lines from the Simpsons is at the end of the episode where Lisa babysits Bart and fails, and when Bart comes in to apologize she tells him that she is selling seeds now and pathetically asks him if he wants to buy some seeds. It always cracks me up, I tried to find video of it but I failed. I say this line a lot for no apparent reason and this weekend when I was planting seeds I said it a lot to myself.

1 comment:

Amy said...

its a ficus (fig) tree growing around a palm tree.