Sunday, March 08, 2009

Blasted!

Last week Natan and I were at the grocery store and saw this product called batter blaster (just typing the name makes me laugh). It was next to the whip creams and it's pancake batter in an aerosol can, like whip cream, and so all you have to do is blast it out onto the pan.

At first we were laughing like crazy at it and making jokes but then it really seemed like a good idea and we became more curious, so he bought it. Today was the first opportunity we had to try it and it was really great! You don't have to mix anything and you can make just the amount of pancakes that you want and all you have to clean is the pan. Plus, which I thought was the most fun, you can make fun shaped pancakes! Natan made me a "K" pancake:


It looks more burnt than it tasted, it was pretty delicious.
I wanted to make other fun pancakes, or funcakes, but I was getting full. Also Natan was the one blasting the pancakes so I just suggested things for him to make but he was more interested in making a perfect pancake because apparently when you are blasting out pancake batter they can be to thick so he was trying different ways of blasting. I really want a whole breakfast that is a sentence of pancakes.

I woke up yesterday and my sinus were acting crazy and I felt like my head weighted ten pounds. I think it's because it's been weird weather here, and I know I shouldn't complain about the weather in South Florida (at least not until the hot, sticky days of August) but it's been ridiculous. It's cold/chilly/windy at night and than sunny and burning hot during the day. So I think my body is just rebelling, hopefully it doesn't turn into a full blown cold.

It occurred to me that even though I am reading a book a week for my Post-Modern World Literature class I haven't mentioned any of the books here, so I will try to bring it up more, mostly for myself because I like looking back at journals/blogs days/months/years later and being able to pinpoint what I was doing that week and I used to keep a list of the books I read and when but I know that this semester it's a new book every week. This week (last week was spring break, so we actually had two weeks to read this one) we are reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's probably the most well known book that we are reading and I think it's my least favorite book, so far. I have about 100 pages left but I'm just not motivated to finish. I don't really see the appeal of the book. Maybe after I finish and we talk about in class, which happens sometimes, but right now I am not enjoying it. I feel like I am watching a movie in fast-forward because characters are introduced so quickly and than disappear 5 pages later and time moves so quickly and there is never any signifiers to let you know how old people are or how much time has passed. And everyone is having sex with each other and even that's not that exciting, most of the time it's just weird or with young kids or relatives. Also everyone has the same/similar names so it's really confusing and every time a child is born I think "oh great ANOTHER Aureliano or Jose Arcadio" I mean seriously! I felt the same way when I took History of the Ottoman Empire, "Was that Mehmed I or Mehmed II? Or maybe it Murad II" I know that obviously this happens in life and history and that people keep names in the family but when there are over 20 characters in a book with the same name I feel like it's just a dirty trick. I was excited to read the book (after all it's Oprah approved!) because Marquez gets grouped together with Salman Rushdie because of the magical realism styles of both authors and I really like Rushdie but I think the main difference is that Rushdie has a sense of humor and his books are really, really funny and the magical realism that takes place is sort of ridiculous, for instance the main character in Midnight's Children has an ultra powerful nose which helps/leads him through life. Marquez seems to take himself way to seriously, I mean if you are going to have people ascending into the heavens with no explanation it should at least be amusing.
But I DO have to have to finish by Tuesday so I think I will go read some more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what does the "k" stand for?